Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Beginnings

Hi! I'm new to the blogger scene. I'm looking for other bloggers to correspond with. I'm a fledgling writer. I've published a few articles and stories. I love to write. I live in British Columbia Canada. After the hot weather and now the heavy rains the creeks and rivers are really beginning to rise. I'll start my blog off with a story, see what people think. It's number 2 in my Tumbleweed series. I published the first story with Alien Skin Magazine.

Tumbleweed: Polar Ice Fields

Even with eye goggles on, the polar cold is causing my eyelids to stick together. Some of the other drivers have helmets and visors on but I can see their visors are coated with ice.

Ready to descend into Hurricane Alley, the tumbleweeds are all lined up on Ice Cap Ridge. This monthly race allows miners the chance to escape the toxic hell of Catharsis's mines. The horn sounds anld we're off. Flying down the glacier at break neck speed, I am bounced violently when I hit an ice ridge. I look to my right and see the rough ground is taking its toll. Tumbleweeds are rolling down the hill in pieces; their occupants lie like crumpled dolls in the red stained snow.

I lean back and slow my tumbleweed down. Larger tumbleweeds fly past and deliberately smash into the smaller tumbleweeds. The dying screams of crushed occupants echo in the wind.

Judges in ground silos are yelling and pointing toward something. I look and see an ice tornado has entered Hurricane Alley.

My friend Ulag is to my right. He is also yelling and pointing, "Behind you, behind you!"...to be continued.

No comments: