Monday, May 26, 2008

Equatorial Abyss

Hello out there. If you're just tuning in to my blog. I'm an aspiring writer. I've published some articles and some fiction. On this blog you'll find a continuation of my Tumbleweed fiction series. Scroll down to May 20th to read the Polar Series. On this page you'll find the beginning of Equatorial Abyss. Please send your comments, reviews, and such, all communication is welcome. The story begin:

Equatorial Abyss

Ocean fog obscured the other participants as a flare exploded overhead signalling the start of the race.

Some paddled their tumbleweeds, some walked in the waist deep water of the bay. There was no wind and no current in the leech infested waters. The participants had to get out to the ocean's jet current which was a half mile out.

Screams erupted in the dense fog. The leeches here were the size of snakes.

"Get out of the water!" a loudspeaker from a judge's silo announced, "A school of leeches is passing through!"

I looked to my left and saw my friend Ulag scrambling back into his tumbleweed. He had a three foot bloodsucking leech attached to his leg and he was trying to chop it off with his emergency axe. A gust of wind pushed him into the dense fog and out of my view. I was alone in the clearing as the water began to boil with the migrating leeches. They were heading out to open water and they pushed my tumbleweed forward with them.

The water began to surge and swell and I knew I was getting close to the jet current. I passed through a mountain of dense sea foam that contained sea lice. I wiped the worm length creatures off of me but many found their way down my back.

I bumped into something. It was Toomba, another friend. She smiled a broken toothed smile and gave me a thumbs up with her one good hand. Her other hand had been chewed off by Polar Crocodilia, rescue had been late in reaching her.

Our tumbleweeds bumped and jostled together as the ocean swells lifted us three stories.

Toomba pointed backwards and I looked back to see a Tabarian crashing through the thick sea foam we had just passed through...to be continued.